Sunday, January 15, 2023

IS-3 I Roden I 1/72


I had never heard of the Roden brand before. If you've even taken a look at my blog, you know how much I love to try new brands. I bought two Roden kits even though I hadn't heard good things about this brand before. One of them was a 1/72 scale IS-3 tank. I quickly started to assemble the tank.


This model kit is obviously a kit that can turn people off from this hobby. There is burr and residue all over the tree. The parts are incompatible with each other. The plastic used in the kit is of very poor quality. Assembling this kit takes a lot of work. If you're thinking about buying it, keep that in mind.


The details on the tank are adequate and deep. Having deep details is a huge advantage. Thus, they do not get lost while dyeing and it is easy to fill them after washing. I like the details of this kit.


The IS-3 tank is famous for its cast oval turret. But the turret from the kit turns out smooth, not like casting. So I mixed wood glue and Tamiya glue to get a slurry-like mixture. I drove this randomly into the turret.


The result is a casting effect close to the original. If you buy this kit, do not forget to do the application I described. Although it seems a bit exaggerated at first, its beauty comes out with painting later on.


I primed it with gray primer to see the faults on the tank. The gray primer reveals the faults on the model in great detail. Primer is very important for such a difficult to assemble kit.


Another benefit of the primer is that it facilitates the adhesion of the paint. If you are painting a primed model, you can thin the paint as much as you want. In this way, the paint sticks to the model very easily without flowing.


After priming, I painted the tank in Italeri brand Russian green. It was dark as usual. To lighten the dark color of the model, I mixed the yellow color with the green color and corrected the main paint of the tank with the mixture.


I took the yellow paint on the sponge and applied it directly on the tank. If you play with the color of a model a lot, it wears out. Therefore, after the model came to the color I wanted, I did not touch it any more.


Finally, I dry brushed the protruding parts on the tank. I exaggerate dry brushing a bit on some tanks. But this time I did a small amount of dry brushing without exaggerating too much.


After the painting of the hull of the tank was finished, I moved on to the details. I painted the machine gun on the turret in anthracite. I've already done soot on the barrel of the tank. I wanted to paint the four fuel tanks in different colors to break the monotony.


I painted two of the gas cans in anthracite, one in yellow and the other in rust. Yellow turned out to be a little too bright, but I left it as it is since I will be playing with oil and rust in the future.


Finally, I painted the tracks and the front track parts in rust color. In fact, there are those who paint these pieces in metallic or anthracite, but I prefer to paint them in rust color.


After the painting was completely finished, I covered the tank with glossy varnish. In this way, I have protected the paint. Then I chose the one with stars among the decals and waited for the varnish to dry.


There were few decals on the model anyway, and after placing it in place, I varnished it once more. If you protect the decals between 2 layers of glossy varnish, it will not shine.


After the gloss varnish was completely dry, I washed the tank in black. I think I kept the washer fluid setting a little darker and the color of the tank lost its initial shine. At this scale, it is very important that the tanks remain light in color.


After washing, I made streaks down the turret of the tank. Since the paint of this tank is very worn, I decided to apply the weathering lightly. I washed the joints of the handles on the turret in rust color.


I modulated with white and yellow oil paint to lighten the color of the tank a bit. I applied black color to the lower parts. Again, I applied brown oil paint to the shallow parts.


I also made streaks and rust effect on the body of the tank. I rusted the track parts in the front. I finished my work with the hull by making soot effect and rusting on the back of the tank.


I dusted the tracks and wheels and made mud effects on the hull. I didn't want to wear too thick. I think it spoils the overall beauty of the tank.


In order to break the monotony of the tank, I painted the gas cans in different colors, first I washed them with rust and then aged them with a sponge. Since I use the sponge technique very little in this tank, I exaggerated when weathering on the barrels. Finally, I finished the tank by making oily streams.


Although the construction phase was very difficult, the IS-3 was a model that I enjoyed in the painting part. I would not recommend buying this kit, but I would say you should make an IS-3 of this size. Another Roden is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment